[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 02:29:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

>> > My name is Jean-Yves, I'm a mythtv dev, and I use liveTv.
>> >
>> > And I know a few more devs using liveTV...
>> >

>> I would assume that most of the theme developers use a lot of live tv
>> too, since it is the first option on the TV screen.  I would much
>> rather have Watch Recordings be the first option on that screen, it
>> would save some wear and tear on the down key on my remote, and be
>> easier to explain to the wife.
>

> The order of the menu's is not theme controlled, and there are different
> options that can be configured in the "appearance" settings menu... my menu
> doesn't have Watch TV at the top.
>
> But either way, I agree that many devs probably do use live TV.  I think the
> reason we see so many more issues with live tv is simply because it is far
> more complicated.  Watching recordings is almost purely frontend driven,
> there are hundreds of media players out there, that can do that just as well
> as mythtv, some will even work with mythbackend.  Watching live tv is a lot
> more involved as the backend is doing more than just opening a stream for
> the file... with channel changes and the corresponding changes in
> resolution/audio/etc, yada yada yada.
>
> Honestly I have very few issues with live tv, but I can certainly understand
> why it is the most issue prone feature.

Thank You!!!  I had totally missed the selection of menu style in the
Appearances menu.  (In fact I missed it after reading your e-mail, and
was going to ask if it was new in 0.25).  I somehow had it set to
Classic instead of Default.  Maybe I should look around and see if
there are other settings that I haven't got right.

Bill