[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Adrian Saul sgtbundy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 12:33:22 UTC 2012

On 23/08/2012 9:39 AM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> No, the problem is people think a good example is "Because I want to
> watch Live TV". A single example doesn't make it a good reason to do
> something, and muscle memory is a terrible example.
>
> Almost any reason someone comes up with for wanting Live TV is either
> A) better done though recorded content or B) invalid.

I am really regretting titling this thread "Live TV" when what I really
meant was "In progress recording", but I digress.

We record everything we want to watch, but we do use "Watch TV" from
time to time - generally for impromptu viewing and things we don't care
to keep.  For example, the breakfast show on in the background while we
get ready in the morning - we don't watch it all but if we hear some
news or something of interest we might wander in and rewind it.  Sure,
we could record it, but we don't want to watch the whole thing or store
all 3-4 hours of it for the 45 minutes we have it on.   We also pretty
much just want to see what is live to air at the time.   Sometimes to
watch the news channel - its on all day so you would not want record it
all, and you just want to see what is going on now.

Sure, we could go into recordings, click that current item in the guide,
start the recording and then switch to that - but isn't that what "Watch
TV" does anyway in one hit?