[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:16:15 UTC 2012

If I'm channel surfing, I'm most likely doing it in the Program Guide.  So
I'm in the Guide, and I choose a show that's already being recorded (the
Guide should already show a green box around this program anyway).  I
should be taken to the "live" recording of that show.  That is to say, I
should be taken to the absolute latest part of the recording.  Then the BE
can free up that tuner I was using.  There's no need to have 2 tuners
recording the same channel if there's a current recording of that channel.
 A little message should be put on the screen indicating that I'm watching
a live version of the recording.  Maybe give me the option to go back to
the beginning of the recording that will eventually fade out after 15
seconds (or let me hit STOP or BACK to remove the OSD Option and continue
to watch LIVE).

Or is this scenario not likely as people don't use the Guide to channel
surf?  Flipping through channels seems like a huge waste of time for an
adult.  Of course, I'm saying this as a man with no children around that
like pressing buttons.  (But that gets into the whole debate of
labels/users with permissions like the ability to watch LiveTV and/or only
watch certain labeled recordings, etc).

I guess I'm not familiar with the caveats of LiveTV as it is now in
0.25.2/0.26.  Isn't LiveTV just a recording that's playing 1-3 seconds
behind broadcast?  Or are we viewing the actual stream from the
HDHomeRun/PVR-x50/HDPVR?  If we're viewing the actual stream, I guess
that'd be why there are LiveTV crashes.  If it was a recording that's
1-3seconds behind, why are we seeing crashes when normal recordings aren't
crashing?  Is it a disk IO issue?  I hope I'm not re-iterating what others
have said.

Either way, I love MythTV!

Jim