[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Aug 25 18:31:54 UTC 2012

On 25/08/12 14:08, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 24/08/2012 17:07, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/24/2012 12:02 PM, Jim Oltman wrote:

>>> I think it would be OK.  Especially if the FE you were using told you
>>> that
>>> "The "INSERTFRONTENDNAMEHERE and the INSERTSHOWNAMEHERE are currently
>>> consuming all tuners."
>>
>> Well, if someone wants to change Live TV, they'll need to write a
>> patch.  But I /still/ think the right approach is to notify the user
>> when they get to a show that's being/has been recorded and offer to take
>> them to that recording (and exit Live TV).  This way it doesn't change
>> the Live TV contract /and/ it tells the user exactly what's happening
>> and allows them to decide whether they want to keep channel surfing or
>> free up the tuner and watch the recording.
>
> Ok, I see what you are saying. On the other hand it might be nice to
> make Live TV less distinguished: attempting to watch a channel live
> would be just:
>
>      if that channel is not currently recording, start recording it, if
>      possible. If that succeeds, start playing the recording from as
>      near to its current end as possible. And when moving away from
>      watching that channel, stop recording immediately if there are no
>      other users.
>
> It would then still be useful to inform the user if the program was
> already recording, telling them they might be able to jump back to
> an earlier part of it. That might happen either because of a recording
> rule, or someone else watching live.

I find myself wondering just how many 'frustrated' users randomly
pressing buttons each system is expected to support, and how much notice
they would take of pop-up-queries.  The small boys I see just press
another button instead.

I like my MythTV to record TV so that I can watch it later,  perhaps
almost live.  If I want to press buttons I can do it as often as I like
on the TV set and no-one else notices.

John P