[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:47:34 UTC 2012

> Has anyone tried this?   Any major reasons *not* to do it?

You will probably get other replies indicating the negative, but this
seems like a fine idea to me. I also run low-power (as far as both
electricity and GHz go) hardware, though I split out my BE and FE.
Running a combined system requires more grunt than split but even so,
a modern dual-core netbook should be up to the task. Some things to
consider:

I don't believe you want CrystalHD. I seem to recall that there are
some Linux driver issues that have not, and may never, be resolved.
VDPAU seems to be the only game in town (from what I understand, VAAPI
is supported in Myth but there are issues there too).

What are you going to use for storage? A netbook is usually pretty
limited space-wise, and recordings like lots of GB. If your netbook
has an SSD, that will be ideal for the OS and DB but you will need a
USB or eSATA external spinning disc for recordings.

Do you want to commflag or transcode? These activities are not suited
to low-power hardware.

Also note that there are already "screenless netbooks" for sale.
Sometimes called net-tops, such as the Acer Revo and Asus Eee Box.
Might be less expensive than a netbook, and may have more room for
internal rather than external spinning discs.

Does your TV have HDMI or VGA inputs? (I ask because a 10-year-old TV
probably doesn't.) If not, you will probably need a new TV -- it's
hard to find FE hardware with analog NTSC outputs these days.