[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 10:01:57 UTC 2012

On 28/08/12 09:28, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 27/08/2012 18:09, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>
>> The user isn't prompted if they want to release the tuner. This also
>> makes the logic easier as you don't need to account for no tuners being
>> available after you finish watching the recording.
>
> I was thinking always drop the tuner if possible. That way you are not
> holding a tuner unnecessarily while someone on another frontend is
> being refused use. I realise that the downside of that is possibly
> being refused a channel change and being restricted to only what
> is already currently recording, but we already have the possibility
> of being restricted to only certain multiplexes. Not sure really -
> seems like swings and roundabouts.

One way to solve this particular problem is just to buy more tuners. Perhaps the
best plan would be to have two tuner pools, one which is only ever used for
scheduled recordings and the other which is only ever used for live tv.

Doing that would resolve most of the conflicts present in this thread, apart
from the problem of potentially making multiple recordings (one scheduled, one
or more live) of the same channel.

--

Mike Perkins