[mythtv-users] Suggestions for simplest way to achieve my recording goals.

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Aug 29 20:23:23 UTC 2012

On 8/29/2012 16:04, rsh1k wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:

>>> I think you might still have a problem with show boundaries.
>>>
>>> If you create a rule to record every show on channel X, with a low
>>> priority, the scheduler will use that tuner if needed to record a higher
>>> priority show on channel Y.  But it will only cut over at show boundaries.
>>>
>>> For example if at a given time you run into this scenario:
>>>
>>> Channel X:   |-----show 1 ------||--------show 2-------|
>>> Channel Y:   ----------|-------show 3 ------|--------------
>>>
>>> In this case, neither show 1 or show 2 would be recorded at all.
>>>
>>> As far as I know, there is no way to tell the scheduler to cut a show
>>> off part way through, or start recording after the show has already
>>> started.  At least not as part of a recording schedule... I know you can
>>> do it manually.
>>>
>>> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> No, that's correct. The only time it will record a partial showing is when
>> you manually give it a specific time slot to record. There is no "allow
>> partials" option.
>
> Could you get there using the "Live TV" mode?

You "could" get there that way, but that would involve writing some
external application that behaved as a frontend maintaining a persistent
Live TV session, automatically flagged the shows as a scheduled
recording that shouldn't be expired immediately, and handled
interruption from scheduled overrides. You would be better off spending
the time to dig through the scheduler code and write a proper "allow
partials" option.

If configured properly, and with sufficient guide data, the existing
scheduler should be able to track repeat episodes, and delay recordings
until a later showing to resolve conflicts.