[mythtv-users] Heat issues with USB ATSC tuners?

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:17:18 UTC 2012

I'm looking to purchase 2 or 3 USB ATSC tuners for OTA TV in the USA,
but each time I find a "good" one, I start finding issues & caveats...

I recently found the Hauppauge/Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick (801e),
which is probably the cheapest one that gets good reviews and appears
to have consistent Linux support.  I have also heard good things about
the more expensive Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q.

However, both of these units are reported to get extremely hot - too
hot to hold in fact.  So hot that people have even modified their
tuners to add external heatsinks!
  ->  http://www.john-am.com/2011/01/modding-a-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-950q-with-heatsinks/

Of course, producing this much heat also means that they are using a
lot of power...  which is something I am trying to minimize on my next
build.

Can anyone tell me if this high power / high temperature issue is
unique to the Hauppauge/Pinnacle designs?   Does anyone have a usb
tuner that runs cool?

Thanks
- rsh1k