[mythtv-users] Heat issues with USB ATSC tuners?

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 20:58:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> This all really seems like far too much ado about nothing. Unless you're
> talking about off-the-grid operation, electricity is cheap. For a piece of
> hardware running all day, every day, it typically comes out to around
> $1/W/yr.  Is a couple bucks really worth all the heartache you're putting
> into planning such a low power device?

No, of course it isn't worth it... but I enjoy it.   That's why it's a
hobby and not a profession.  :-)

The heat issue with the USB tuners was an honest question - I don't
own any USB tuners, and the local stores don't stock them.  I would
have to order something, in multiples, and at $50/each, I would prefer
not to order a bunch to compare.  So inquiring about the heat issues
was worth a shot - if it is common to all tuners and unavoidable, then
so be it.   But if Brand Y tuners run cooler, and someone can tell me
this, then it would be great to order those instead.  It's a new
build, completely different from my previous builds, so I'm learning
and figuring out how everything will fit together - publicly, so that
others can benefit.

Going off the grid is an interesting concept - partially because I've
never had a system where that was even remotely feasible due to the
power draw.  But once you get down to <15W, all of the sudden it
becomes much more realistic.   I doubt I would do (for the reasons in
the other thread), but it is still interesting as an academic topic.

- rsh1k