[mythtv-users] writeData: Error, zerocnt timeout , writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 1 13:48:05 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 04:00 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
> Last night my mythtvfrontend began to stutter, occasionally
> freezing for 5-10 seconds. It got increasingly worse, which would
> hold up the client to the point where I had to kill it.  After
> restarting the backend 2-3 times, things were back to normal.
>
> In the backend log I found a bunch of these :
>
> ProcessRequest mythsocket.cpp:504 (writeData) - MythSocket(25d9740:65): writeData: Error, zerocnt timeout
>
> http://files.jessen.ch/mythtv-writeData-Error-zerocnt-timeout
>
> I also got a bunch of these:
>
> ProcessRequest mythsocket.cpp:389 (writeStringList) - MythSocket(22bcf20:-1): writeStringList: Error, No data written on writeBlock (1 errors)
>
> http://files.jessen.ch/mythtv-writestring-No-data-written-on-writeBlock
>

> My setup is a couple of weeks old, frontend+backend on openSUSE
> 12.2, hauppauge DVB-S cards, mythtv 0.25, kernel 3.4.11.  The
> frontend is connected via wifi.
>
> All hints or pointers much appreciated!

Best hint is that an excerpt showing only one line from the log file
(or, a grep for the multiple repeats of that line) is pretty much
useless for debugging what's actually happening.

I don't know why people don't--but they should--always post a
default-verbosity log showing startup of a program through failure.

But, if you want guesses of which of the hundreds (thousands) of
possible problems that could cause this particular symptom is to blame
in your case, I guess I could start with a guess that your hard drive is
dying.  If I didn't hit the jackpot on the first guess, you'll need to
get others to guess the other couple hundred problems--I don't have time
to play this game a lot.  ;)

Seriously, though, first stop in debugging any issue should be a
default-verbosity log showing application startup through failure.  For
you, that means mythfrontend and, most likely, mythbackend.  Shut them
both down, then restart mythbackend, then mythfrontend, then play back a
recording until you see the issue, then grab copies of the logs since
startup and post them or a link to them.

Note that you're not the only person who's failing to include logs and
is making the list play the guessing game.  It's actually a rampant
problem, right now.  You were just the unlucky person to whom I
responded with a plea for people to provide logs--and not excerpts of
logs (as the person who can't figure out what's wrong is the worst
possible person to decide what information in the log is actually relevant).

Mike