[mythtv-users] Running mythbackend on a low-power device

digid myth digidmyth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 13:18:45 UTC 2012

I played with this awhile and decided to stay with my larger server and
have it on all the time. My current setup is a 6 core AMD based server with
12tb of hard drives.  It is used for many other things than just Myth.
Current power consumption average is 94 watts last month. At current
electric rates that's less than 10.00 per month. I could most likely get my
average down more but have not taken the time to tweak it any further. In
my opinion the savings in $$ to get much lower is not worth the trouble. A
good efficient processor, which my bulldozer is not as far as low power, at
least an 80% rated power supply and putting the drives to sleep when not
used is the best bang for the buck in getting the power usage down. It's
even possible to shut CPU cores down on the fly in Linux which can save
some power. The drives seem to be 50% of my power on boot the power spikes
to almost 200 watts. Shutting down the front ends when not in use is a
better option also.  SSD drives allow for fast turn on if your FE can wake
from USB then you can wake it with the remote. The only issue I have had
with this is that any remote will wake the front end. Even if the inte nt
is not to use myth.

Dale