[mythtv-users] MythTV on Win 7 conflicts with ip tunnel software

Orange Pants vaa321 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 18:16:19 UTC 2012

Well it finally sort of kind of started to work yesterday after I removed
all the tunnel drivers using windows Device Manager. I'm going to try it
with the AllowLinkLocal disabled later. The server starts up and i can
connect from the front end. Not everything works, but I can schedule
recordings and it even gets one week worth of TV schedule though OTA. I
cannot watch life TV and some of the scripts fail to start up such as
commercial detection etc... But at the end it gives me a good idea of what
MythTV is all about.
If someone wants to try mythtv for windows, here some of the problems i
had:
* don't install mythtv in Program Files or any other folder with a space in
the name. Some scripts will fail with: "C:\Program" is not found.
* create folder c:\mnt\store - somehow windows mythtv ignores the settings
and tries to store scheduled recordings into the default directory. Maybe i
messes something up in the configuration.
* it may help to have python installed on windows as some of the scripts
fail because they are python scripts. Though i'm not sure if that would fix
the problem.

After all there are pros and cons to building MythTV vs getting a lifetime
TIVO with a media streamer/player as alternative.
With mythtv I will spend countless hours building drivers, upgrading,
troubleshooting which in itself could be a lot of fun if you have the time.
But you can't beat the simplicity of a push button that TIVO and media
players offer.

Thanks for all the help!