[mythtv-users] Consequences of drive failure

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Dec 3 21:52:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Michael Watson <
michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 3/12/2012 7:19 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>
>> tortise wrote:
>>
>>> Also the temp the drive is running at also seems relevant to me.  A
>>> recent case change for me resulted in temp drops from ~ 52 degrees down
>>> to ~ 32 degrees.  Got to be good for my drives, surely?!
>>>

>>  One of my 2TB drives has suddenly got 516 bad sectors, should I replace
>>> it asap?  (!)  I am considering how I copy it to a 3TB drive as a
>>> replacement...
>>>
>> Google did a report some years ago no looking at drive failures. Because
>> fo the volumes they use, and the scale of monitoring, they were able to
>> draw statistically significant conclusions. One of them was that
>> temperature (within reason) didn't seem to affect drive lifetime.
>>

> In my experience, keeping the drive cooler does prolong its life.  I
> imagine google would be using enterprise grade drives, maybe that makes a
> difference.

I don't believe they use enterprise drives.  Most mechanical devices prefer
a consistent temperature, they are indifferent to hot or cold, they just
don't do well with all the expansion and contraction that occurs with
temperature changes.  Only the solid state portion of it would prefer cool
to hot, but typically the mechanical parts will fail before the solid state
parts, even in a consistently hot environment.