[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Dec 5 00:02:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> > No, Watch Recordings used the INFO to show info (and *context* menu) on
> > the selected recording.  It was changed because many people whined that
> > "Any sane user interface doesn't need 2 menus," so now we have 2 menus
> > and an impossible to describe user interface ("Hit MENU, and if you
> > don't see <whatever>, hit MENU, again...").
>
> How is this harder to use, or describe, than telling people they have
> to bind two separate buttons and remember what functions appear in
> which menu? Besides, you and I both know that the Watch Recordings
> menu is context-sensitive and will almost always do the right thing.
>
> > Again, INFO was always for information/context menu and MENU was for
> > "main" menu (i.e. like the one you'd have at the top of the
> > application, versus the right-click/context menu).
> >
> > What Mike says is 100% accurate (and not the revisionist history of
> > those who complained until MENU got changed).
>
> Please spare us the patented Michael T. Dean passive aggressiveness.
>
> No, it makes no sense, in an environment with relatively limited
> buttonspace (I have a programmable remote with softkeys, but most
> don't), to have two menus that are completely separate and require two
> different buttons. You were wrong when mythtv-users had this debate
> after 0.22 was released. More importantly, other developers disagreed
> with you; otherwise the change would never have occurred.

Well, as a user, with no affiliation with the developers: I liked it better
before, too. MTD's analogy between application menus and right click menus
is right on the money - changing the way the interface works does NOT
belong in the same context as altering the details of a specific
recording/video.

If you use a remote with too few buttons, that's your problem - I'd rather
that you and others didn't ruin my experience to solve your own issues. The
interface was logical, now it isn't.

(And seriously, how many remotes don't have both a Menu/Options/Settings
button and an Info/"i"/Details button?)

- Chris