[mythtv-users] Video 'waves' of speed up, slow down watching recorded TV

Dan Gravell dan.gravell at talk21.com
Wed Dec 5 15:33:34 UTC 2012

This might be a little hard to describe... I am using a Zotac ZBox ID41 as a frontend only, connected to a backend via powerline ethernet. It's a Mythbuntu 11.10 install.

Myth generally works fine, but there's an annoyance with playback of recorded TV. When played, the speed of the video varies on a second by second basis. It appears to speed up and slow down in 'waves'. There is no break up of the picture and no artifacts. Audio sounds perfect (to my ears). It's more obvious with different types of content... if you see something moving steadily across the screen it's quite annoying. If things are static you don't notice anything at all.

First, I'm not sure how to describe the 'waves' of speeding up and slowing down... maybe someone will have a word to help Google.

Next, how do I fix this?

Some ideas...

Something to do with A/V sync? I enabled the information when playback was running, and I was seeing an A/V sync value range from, I think, -0.1 to 0.2. I have no idea what these numbers mean, and they change too fast to really get a good idea of what the value is.

I'm using nouveau I think. Should I be using the proprietary NVidia drivers? Mythbuntu offered both at installation time, and with no other information as to which one to choose I decided on nouveau.

I have tried VDPAU and VDPAU Slim, both seem to give the same behaviour.

Hope someone has some pointers...

Dan