Al Heynneman heynnema at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 5 17:04:12 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 11:27 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> There is a minor issue I have: the two old drives have the same geometry, the
> two new drives do as well, but the old drives have 512-byte sectors, the new
> ones have 4096-byte sectors. My plan is this:
>
> Remove good old drive, mount with new drive in spare host. Rsync files across.
> Put new drive into MBE slot where good drive was. (Er, fix fstab for new UUIID.)
>
> Remove bad old drive, mount into spare host alongside good old drive (same
> geometry). Use dd_rescue to bit-copy from bad to good. When happy with result
> remove bad old drive.
>
> Put remaining new drive in spare host, rsync from good old drive to new drive.
> Remove new drive and put into MBE.

With these new generation 4096 byte sector drives, you have to make sure
to use formatting/partitioning software that will properly "align"
cylinder start blocks. When I upgraded the drive in my laptop to a new,
larger, Western Digital drive, it was a whole new learning curve. On
Windows, I also needed to install a special Intel software driver to
handle these new type of drives.

If you don't do this, your drive access and throughput will be REALLY bad.

Cheers, Al

--
Al Heynneman
heynnema at spamcop.net