[mythtv-users] Advice on setting up Frontend with both WiFi & Powerline Ethernet?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Dec 6 01:14:56 UTC 2012

On 6/12/2012 10:24 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> I have a Frontend (FE) that I can't run ethernet cable to.
>
> I tried WiFi and found that the throughput met my needs, but I
> couldn't use WOL with WiFi amongst other things.
>
> I set it up with Powerline Ethernet using a pair of Netgear AV+ 200
> adapters.  That solved the WOL and other problems, but now the
> throughput is too low to watch programs.
>
> Now I'm wondering about whether I can combine the two to get
> everything working.  Do I just put the WiFi adapter back in and let it
> run, expecting the video data to get there over the shared bandwidth
> of the WiFi and Powerline interfaces, should I set it up with a second
> hostname for the second ethernet interface, or is there something else
> I haven't thought of that would need to be addressed?
>
> I'll be using DHCP with static IP assignments by MAC address, if that
> plays into the decision matrix.
>
> If I should set up a second hostname, I could really use some help
> with how to go about doing that.
>
> Craig.

People have said that the powerline adapters give them enough bandwidth,
do you have the adapters plugged directly into the outlet, or into a
powerboard?  Bests results are achieved if the adapters are plugged
directly into the outlet.

If you do need to use the wireless, then simply use the powerline
adapter for wol, but dont assign it an ipaddress or allow it to obtain
an IP Address via dhcp.    Comment out the "auto eth0" and "iface eth0
inet xxxxx" in your "/etc/network/interfaces" will do that.  This way,
you can use the ethernet adapter connected to the powerline adapter for
wol, and wireless for your connectivity

Another option is bonding the ethernet with the wireless, but I dont
think this will guarantee you the bandwidth.

Regards
Michael