[mythtv-users] Airplay streaming from OS X

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 23:28:00 UTC 2012

On 9 December 2012 05:24, Justin Johnson <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 0.26 but seem to have lost some functionality with
> the Airtunes/Airplay support. I have mythtv configured via the GUI, and
> iTunes recognizes and can stream to mythtv easily. That part works great.
>
> However, I used to be able to set my system audio device in OS X (Mountain
> Lion) to the mythtv airplay server, and all audio would be redirected to
> mythtv. I loved this, as it let me use Pandora, Spotify, etc with Airplay.
> Any ideas why this aspect may no longer be working? I don't know why airplay
> would work perfectly in iTunes (including video streaming) but not in OS X
> as a whole.

AFAIK, the redirection of audio, a new feature in Moutain Lion never
worked, even with myth 0.25. For this to work your device needs to
support FairPlay: this only work with an Apple TV.

It's one of the first thing I tried when ML was introduced to check if
myth airplay feature would work in Moutain Lion, but the device
doesn't even appear in the list of available audio device.

> I see "mDNSResponder[53]: Bad service type in
> ._mythbackend-master._tcp.local. Application protocol name must be
> underscore plus 1-15 characters. See
> <http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html>" in the OS X system log, not sure
> if its related.

Yes, Myth can generate invalid name for the backend , names that are
too long, but this isn't a problem.