[mythtv-users] Airplay streaming from OS X

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 01:53:59 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 9 December 2012 05:24, Justin Johnson <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to 0.26 but seem to have lost some functionality with
> > the Airtunes/Airplay support. I have mythtv configured via the GUI, and
> > iTunes recognizes and can stream to mythtv easily. That part works great.
> >
> > However, I used to be able to set my system audio device in OS X
> (Mountain
> > Lion) to the mythtv airplay server, and all audio would be redirected to
> > mythtv. I loved this, as it let me use Pandora, Spotify, etc with
> Airplay.
> > Any ideas why this aspect may no longer be working? I don't know why
> airplay
> > would work perfectly in iTunes (including video streaming) but not in OS
> > as a whole.
>
> AFAIK, the redirection of audio, a new feature in Moutain Lion never
> worked, even with myth 0.25. For this to work your device needs to
> support FairPlay: this only work with an Apple TV.
>
> It's one of the first thing I tried when ML was introduced to check if
> myth airplay feature would work in Moutain Lion, but the device
> doesn't even appear in the list of available audio device.
>

> > I see "mDNSResponder[53]: Bad service type in
> > ._mythbackend-master._tcp.local. Application protocol name must be
> > underscore plus 1-15 characters. See
> > <http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html>" in the OS X system log, not
> sure
> > if its related.
>
> Yes, Myth can generate invalid name for the backend , names that are
> too long, but this isn't a problem.

Some more comments:
Audio-only redirection definitely worked for me on 0.25, I used it all the
time. This is configured through System Preferences>Sound, not the Display
page. Display mirroring did not work, as you say, the device didn't show in
the list.
Previously, the device wouldn't work or show up immediately after S3 resume
on my Macbook, it would usually take about 10 minutes, or restarting
mythfrontend.
It's possible that I've updated OS X since the last time I tried to use it,
so it could be that something changed in OS X.
I do have commit 57396ed6cfe4195a6ab4ef1087e233ba66ce402c in my tree.

Maybe it's just one of those things that was nice while it lasted.