[mythtv-users] Odd playback behavior since 0.26

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 05:11:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Robert Havlin <bob.havlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I experience the same issue with playback.  Based on my testing, there is
> nothing wrong with the recording coming from the HD-PVR (same setup for more
> than a year and no problems until 0.26).  I can even play the file with a
> different player - VLC.  It seems like there are some serious bugs with
> streaming from the backend in 0.26.
>
> In fact, just yesterday, in addition to the video stream corruption you
> pointed out, I noticed that playback will sometimes simply quit and return
> to the "Recordings" screen with the most recent version of 0.26-fixes
> (v0.26.0-55-g09ac5b2).

Commonly seen issue and a bug report has already been submitted:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11159 . Several devs have been able
to replicate the issue - either with their own recordings or via a
sample I've provided.

It is an issue that started with 0.26, likely during the last ffmpeg
sync.  Honestly, my recommendation has been to stay on 0.25 until this
is resolved... However, if you are already on 0.26 and can't downgrade
at this point, you can try to leverage the standard video playback
profile instead of VDPAU.  Also, you can play the video back, get past
the corruption, exit the recording, and trying playing again.  95% of
the time, this will continue playback without an issue.

Please DO NOT add "me too" comments to the ticket above, or submit
duplicate tickets.  Hopefully the devs will be able to resolve this in
the near future.

Thanks!
Matt