[mythtv-users] Mythmusic folder view

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Dec 9 20:21:59 UTC 2012

On 09/12/12 17:19, marcus hall wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 10:30:05AM +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 08/12/12 22:59, Roger Siddons wrote:
>>> Playing selected tracks is a bit strange - Play doesn't work but
>>> 'Next Track' starts it going . I suspect a small bug.
>>> Playing everything else is simple: 'Replace Tracks' to play
>>> immediately or 'Add Tracks' to play it after your current
>>> album/playlist/etc.
>>>
>> I'm curious In what way doesn't Play work? Seems to work fine here!
>> Are you saying when you press Play and you have tracks in the play
>> queue it doesn't toggle Play/Pause? On which view? Which widget has
>> the focus? Does it work while playing back video/recordings?  Maybe
>> I'm misunderstanding what you want Play to do.
>>
>> Paul H.
> I believe that Roger was referring to the PLAY button on the remote control.
> That seems to be behaving just like SELECT.  If you press the SKIP TRACK
> button, the player does start playing.  It would be nice if the PLAY button
> on the remote would start playing...

Ah! I think I see what the confusion is. There is both a PLAY and a
PAUSE keybinding in MythMusic. PLAY is unbound in the Music context by
default and I think it should just start playback of the current track.
The PAUSE key toggles Play/Pause and is bound to 'P' by default. I know
that some lirc configs like the popular Hauppauge ones have the Play key
send the Return key which would explain what is happening. So it is more
a config issue not a bug. The fix would be to make sure lirc sends
something like Ctrl+P for the Play key and change the PLAY keybinding in
the Music context to Ctrl+P.

And before I start getting more abuse I didn't add the two keybindings.
I didn't even know there was a PLAY keybinding until I started to look
at the patches on ticket #10710.

> So, if you enter the playlist editor with nothing currently in the play queue,
> you can navigate to the desired artist/album/track/playlist/whatever, press
> MENU->REPLACE TRACKS, then press PLAY and whatever you selected should start
> playing right then. That might be enough to be "easy to use", if not obvious
> at first.

That is what the patches on #10710 do. The patches are a little buggy to
say the least but I'm sure they can be made to work.

> Some solution to the problem of having to page for 30-40 seconds just to get
> down the list of artists would be helpful too.  The old scheme of having an
> additional level to get the the first letter seemed to work well (and was
> an option that could be enabled/disabled as needed.)  That seems to be a
> reasonable option, and is pretty obvious to the user.

Myth is in the process of being dumbed down so another setting probably
wouldn't got down very well. I added a setting to disable animations
that didn't go down very well and ultimately led me to leave the project
so you have been warned :)

> marcus hall
> marcus at tuells.org

Paul H.