[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend asks for country/language settings every time

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 11 06:25:40 UTC 2012

On 12/11/2012 12:52 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> Every time I start up my mythfrontend-only machine and it tries to
> connect to the standalone mythbackend it goes to the settings screens
> where it asks for country, language etc. I think I may have confused
> things by having an old mythfrontend which I called "mfe1" and then
> reusing that name when I replaced the old machine with a new one.
>
> I think the answer to this may be to delete the settings in the
> mythbackend database for "mfe1" hostname. Can anyone please advise?
> I'm worried that this may be a bit of a sledgehammer approach and miss
> an easier way of doing it.

No, the problem is that your config.xml is broken and for some reason
MythTV is unable to fix it (i.e. usually file permissions are wrong).

There's no way the old settings values for that host name could be a
problem--either mythfrontend starts up using that host name (and all the
settings the old system had) or it starts using some other host name
(and gets its settings, or defaults if there aren't any for that host
name).  So, no need to delete them.

It prompts for the backend/database information only when it can't
figure out where to find your backend (or which master backend is the
right one, if you have multiple separate MythTV systems on your network).

There's likely a nice message in the log file that explains what's
happening, but since no one actually provides logs, anymore, (or
provides too small an excerpt--sometimes just one line) ...

Mike