[mythtv-users] New Sky+ App - control Sky box via tcp/ip network

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 12:04:20 UTC 2012

-----Original message-----
From:Michael Watson <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>
Sent:Sun 16-12-2012 10:07
Subject:Re: [mythtv-users] New Sky+ App - control Sky box via tcp/ip network
To:mythtv-users at mythtv.org;
New version, with channel data update, and delay between channel change
and checking if channel change was successful.
Two ways to update the file, run "skychange.py update" or delete the
channel data file, it will download a new version on next run.

Regards
Michael Watson

PS.  Out of Interest, how do you load all the channels into MythTV?  How
is myth configured to record from a device like this?
         I have only used DVB-T Tuners thus far.

mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users at mythtv.org

I had to comment out your debugging lines as response.xml doesn't get created anywhere, but I tested the channel guide update and that worked fine (once I'd adjusted permissions). The channel change check works correctly now too with the 1 second delay.

I loaded up the bulk of the Sky channels a long tome ago - I think that at the time there was a routine to import them using mythfilldatabase (there probably still is), once they were in mythtv, I had to assign channel numbers manually. Now I just update it by adding any new xmltv urls to the channel file, run mythfilldatabase and amend or add the channel numbers as required. From time to time I have to delete lines from the channel files and the database to clean it up. I'm pretty sure that something could be set up to read the sky channel list that you are downloading from sky and interrogate xmltv to create a full set of channels with their xmltv ids and the correct channel numbers for importing into the mythtv database - this would make maintenance of the channel list much easier (I'm sure someone has already done it, but I'm not aware of anything).

My Sky box is connected to a PVR250 card via a (very) long composite A/V cable and, up 'till now, I managed channel changes with a USB MCE Transmitter and a video sender to transmit the IR codes to the Sky Box - this has never been 100% reliable and I missed quite a few programs because of it - which is why I was so pleased when the Sky+ App came out as I knew that it would be possible to do it via the network.

Having said all that, and having got this working, it's quite possible that sometime in the New Year we might be switching from Sky to a Virgin Media Tivo box, so there might be a new project for you soon ;-)

Regards,

Dave.