[mythtv-users] Is there a way to save front and backend configuration?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 18:45:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Paul Stillwell
<bigboi at wackywombats.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to do a brand new installation of Fedora 17 on a new disk with Mythtv. I am basically replacing the hard drive that I have in there now (that is Fedora 14 with Mythtv installed) with a new drive so all the hardware will remain exactly the same. Once I backup my database, is there some way to save all the configuration options that I have chosen in the frontend and the backend? Is all that info in a text file somewhere or is it in the database backup? It would be nice if there was some way that once I have the new installation that I could make sure that I have all the same options checked in the new install (unless they have been deprecated).
>
> Thanks,

The database itself, and the mythtv user home directory contain much
of the configuration information, but consider out-of-mythtv configuration
too:

* mysql configuration (tuning, etc.)
* firewall configuration
* udev rule configuration
* security configuration (adding the mythtv user to to video/audio groups)
* Remember if you recreate the mythtv user, it may end up with a different
  uid/gid (actually likely, as I recall in F17 the new start number is
1000 rather
  than 500), so file ownership/permissions may need to be adjusted)
* startup script order/settings (F17 uses systemd, F14 used init.d scripts)
* other package installation/config, such as lirc.

In other words, review the installation instructions for your distro carefully.

I am sure others can contribute other things that I have forgotten.

Gary