[mythtv-users] is it possible to configure netvision youtube to identify as an ipad ?

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:05:36 UTC 2012

2012/12/17 Alex Halovanic <halovanic at gmail.com>

> Sort of, although I'm not totally sure exactly how the iPad app works at
> this point...
>
> Youtube supports two types of video formats: Flash and HTML 5 but not all
> of their videos have HTML 5 versions.  My understanding of the available
> Youtube APIs is that HTML 5 for supported embedded videos only happens if
> a) You opt into the HTML5 trial at youtube.com/html5 on your browser or
> b) don't have Flash at all.
>
> In addition, MythNetvision needs to be patched to load the iframe API from
> youtube, otherwise only Flash video can load.  I have a patch to do that
> against this ticket:
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11092
>
> If you're willing to try it out and let me know what you see, here's what
> you have to do to enable HTML 5 youtube videos:
> 1) Patch the youtube.html file from ticket 11092.
> 2) Visit youtube.com/html5 in Mythbrowser. Confirm it says that HTML 5 is
> supported for all formats and click the link to join the trial.  You need
> to do this every time you start mythfrontend since it doesn't seem to save
> the cookie permanently.
> 3) Search for 'big buck bunny' in Mythnetvision and start playing.  If you
> right click on it, you should see a different menu from the Flash one.
>
> Caveats:
> -There are some focus issues, although I think these exist with the normal
> Flash player as well in some circumstances.  If you click on a video with
> your mouse, the remote control keybindings won't work anymore.  I'd
> recommend having a keyboard/mouse connected and disabling the 'hide mouse
> cursor' setting in Myth's appearance menu for now.
> -The iframe player has a tiny red progress bar at the bottom to show the
> playback status that you can't seem to get rid of.  Might annoy some people.
> -This tends to crash out mythfrontend, especially on trying to exit the
> video.  I think this is reduced most by *pausing* the video before trying
> to exit it.  Depending on how much Flash crashes for you, this may still be
> an improvement.
> -Video still has some tearing and is not as hardware accelerated as it
> could be.  This is because of how the QT library is drawing it using Cairo,
> I believe.  I hadn't looked too closely at what it would take to enable
> something like VDPAU here.  For my case, performance still seems better
> than unaccelerated Flash.
> -You either have to remove the Flash plugin permanently (and lose all
> Flash-only videos) or repeatedly opt into the HTML 5 trial for every time
> you restart mythfrontend.
>
> -Alex

> Hello,

Thanx for responding,

It's to bad that youtube does not allow you to enable html5 permanently,
and i was kinda hoping in fooling it into thinking netvision was an ipad so
it would do this without the need of starting the myth browser every time
before starting netvision.

As a dirty workaround, this must be scriptable with curl or perl&LWP during
myth startup ? Or to be more precise, where do I need to put the cookie so
that netvision finds and uses it ?

I've got two weeks of vacation coming up and will give your instructions a
try then since I'm a bit low on free time now.
I will get back to you on this.

Rob