[mythtv-users] is it possible to configure netvision youtube to identify as an ipad ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 18 15:41:56 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 07:09 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got some serious performance problems when watching HD content on
> youtube through netvision.
>
> The performance issues do not appear when I watch youtube (in a
> browser) using html5.
>
> Since an ipad gets html5 by default from youtube (since apple does not
> support flash on them) I wondered if it is possible to get netvision
> to identify itself as an ipad to youtube, so that you get html5
> without having to manually enter the html5 trial on youtube.
> Which would solve my flash performance issue.
>
> Hence my question :
>
> Is it possible to get netvision to identify itself as an ipad to youtube ?

I'm pretty sure that Google's code is doing a bit more than a simple
User-Agent check to figure out what type of video to send.  They
actually have code to figure out if Flash is installed and, if it's not,
they use HTML5.

Therefore, a nice, easy approach is to get rid of the Trash causing the
problem.  (If nothing else, try a script that just moves/renames the
libflashplayer.so when you want to use MNV, and perhaps it will work, then.)

Mike