[mythtv-users] Meta-data for recordings

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 12:47:48 UTC 2012

On 26/12/12 03:31, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2012 11:18 PM, "Fred Watt" <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:fredwattmythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi - does anyone know of a script or simple way of adding meta data
> tags to a recording .mpg file?  I wanted to populate tags as such as
> title etc, but was wondering if there was a way to inject the values
> rather than copy as in this example?
> >
> > ffmpeg -i file.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy -metadata
> title="Dancing Bear" -metadata comment="Title Created Using FFmpeg
> metadata tag" outputfile.avi
> >
> > Is there a better way to do this using mythtv?
> >
> > My use case is that I would like to expose recordings to a oppo 103
> (via twonky upnp, or cifs) and use this as a play back device.
>
> The metadata is in the database and is accessible via mysql (either
> directly or via python or perl bindings). However if use myth's upnp
> server you won't need to insert the metadata in the file itself.

Thank you for the reply Nick.  I've never had much success with MythTV's
upnp implementation (been a mythtv user for over 6 years). I've found
that some folders like "By Date" cause clients to just hang.  Using 'All
recordings' I do see a date ordered list, but selecting a HD BBC
recoding often results in a Error in the client player (iMediaShare/Dice
Player on Android for example).  Basically I have a poor user
experience, kind of given up using it.

This is why I use twonky, I have a master and slave/frontend setup. The
master also runs twonky which serves a directory containing recordings
from the slave.  I sync the slave recording folder, as this allows the
master to serve content to other devices (laptops, android tablets,
phones, other ubuntu computers) with out having to have the slave (with
all the tuner h/w) & recordings powered on and running.  The 'low
powered' master has recordings symbolically linked from a directory so
that twonky can serve up content with a 'nice' name for each recording
such as '20121224180800 Carols from King's.mpg'.

What I am trying to do is use a oppo 103 as the main living room client,
and remove the need to using the slave/frontend for watching play back.
The oppo can work with either CIFS or upnp.  But given my difficulties
with mythtv's upnp, I use twonky.  The only problem I have with twonky
serving recordings is that there's no meta data in the recording mpg
hence my original question.   Might be on a hiding to nothing, but I am
interested in the oppo as it has excellent playback capabilities and is
very low powered.  It can also be used as a media renderer so - like
mythfrontend - you can 'throw' content at it from Android.  But it also
allows you to throw and render 'images' which is something that
mythfrontend cannot currently do.

MythTV is a fantastic project.