[mythtv-users] Remove a Storage Group

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 28 15:20:17 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2012 08:47 AM, Robert Dege wrote:
> @Michael:
> Thank you for the suggestion.  I will apply the updates as you
> indicated in your last post.
>
> I have a follow up question with moving the recorded shows to the
> Video Library.  I use the HDHR Prime for my recordings (CableCard
> req).  Would I run into any viewing issues if I moved the shows into
> the Video Library?  In the past, I tried (without success) to watch
> shows using vlc on my windows computer pointing directly to the files
> in /myth/shows2 (via samba).  I successfully did this with OTA
> recordings, as well as with analog recordings from TWC.  When I was
> unable to do it with FiOS, I figured it had something to do with the
> CableCard encryption.  I'm just wondering if I'll run into a similar
> problem if I move certain shows into the Video Library.

MythTV can only record unencrypted TV, so by the time the video gets to
MythTV, it must be unencrypted--i.e. the CableCARD has already done the
decryption.  Therefore, the CableCARD is unrelated to the playback
problems.  It's possible there's a problem with VLC ("real-world" TV
MPEG is known to be ugly compared to most other sources of video) or
your VLC build.

Chances are you won't have any problems playing the recordings from
Video Library, since you can play them in Watch Recordings and we use
the same player for both.  If nothing else, just copy one of those files
into Video Library and try playing it back there before you start moving
them.  That way, you'll know they work before making hard-to-undo changes.

Oh, and as always, before any "major change" to your system (settings,
moving videos, ...), please do a database backup:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

> @John:
> For me, my biggest problem is the lack of free time to properly
> investigate the problem.  It could be a multitude of things.  Here's
> what I do know:
>
> *) Both of the hard drives are old (2006).  They are both SATA2, and
> are 7200RPM.  hdparm tested them around 40-50MB/s
> *) The problem occurs randomly, when shows are recorded on the OS
> disk.  LiveTV, and shows recorded on the 2nd hard drive are fine
> *) When recording 3 shows at once, only the shows on the OS disk
> experience this pausing issue.  However, the show itself is not
> recorded with it.  So if I watch the show after it has finished
> recording, there are no pausing problem.
> *) I googled about the problem, and also reached out to the forums,
> which is where I talked with other people who experienced a similar
> problem.  While I would like to use iotop to confirm their findings, I
> just haven't had time to do so.

The issue is almost definitely a combination of ext4 + barriers file
system containing MySQL binary data files and less-than-perfect MySQL
configuration (as nearly all "default" MySQL configuration is bad for
this configuration).  The approach you're taking is actually the best
one--don't write recordings to the file system (ideally, the drive)
containing the MySQL data.

Mike