[mythtv-users] MythicalLibrarian, symlinks and Myth: Will this work or will Myth lose its mind?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Feb 1 18:35:33 UTC 2012

On 2/1/2012 13:17, Matt Emmott wrote:
> The problem (well, challenge, no offense intended) is two-fold with
> what I want to accomplish. First, I want filenames that can be queried
> against a tv listings database so aggregators like XBMC, Boxee and
> Plex can index and display the episode descriptions to the end user.

As I understand it, mythicalibrarian does all this stuff internally, and
either populates XBMC's database directly, or provides metadata files
XBMC understands.

> but the issue would still be that they are stored in the Myth-esque
> naming convention, so if I connected via Samba etc, I couldn't easily
> see which file is which episode.

As you mention below, you could use mythlink.pl to create links to the
files, but there is good reason to using a generic naming system for
storage.  First, it ensures a unique filename in the event the metadata
is similar, such as two movies of the same name.  Second, it means you
don't have to deal with all those little filesystem quirks, such as
limited character sets and limited name length.  If you screw up the
symlinks, who cares.  You patch the code for that particular issue and
continue on.  If you screw up a file rename, or overwrite something, the
data may simply be gone.  That's the reason renaming capability was
removed from the old mythrename.pl (to make mythlink.pl).

> I've used Mythlink.pl in the past to periodically sweep through and
> set up symlinks TO my recordings, and then pointed my aggregators to
> its "show_names" folder. Unfortunately, I end up with a huge flat
> directory of vague filenames based purely on show and recorded date.

MythVideo has a mechanism where instead of viewing your content based
off the underlying directory structure, it will generate one of several
other structures based off the stored metadata.  Does XBMC have anything
of that sort?  With mythicalibrarian automatically pulling such data fro
XBMC, that could be an option.