[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Thu Feb 2 08:36:42 UTC 2012

2012/2/2 Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net>:

> On 2 February 2012 13:18, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I have three LCD TVs now.  (24", 37", and 52".)  Only the 52" has the
>> > ability to turn off overscan when using a digital input (HDMI).  Both
>> > of my smaller sets insist on overscanning the image which absolutely
>> > sucks for anything that isn't video (and only mostly sucks for video).
>> >  Luckily both these sets have VGA input and don't force an overscan on
>> > VGA.
>> >
>> > Anything marketed as a monitor will not overscan the input.  With TVs
>> > it's a bit of a crap shoot.  It's just something else to keep in mind.
>>
>> I made them get the manual out of the box for my LG tv to make sure
>> you could turn off overscan, which meant they had to put a cd in a
>> computer in the shop and open a pdf file (whats with the lack of trees
>> in the box these days?)
>>
>> I also, to confirm my findings, googled from my android and found
>> there were mostly good reports in the interweb about LG having the
>> ability to turn off overscan.
>>
>> Saved going miles home to research on the net and then coming back to buy.
>>

>> > Eric
>>

> I'e been wondering about this on my seried 7 Samsung, anyone know if this is
> possible?

Overscan? Wasn't that an issue back when we had CRT screens and
s-video connections? Or am I completely missing the point? All LCD
screens which I've been using (or have setup) through the past 10
years has been able to do 1:1 pixel mapping - some of them did require
a little messing around with the modelines (especially those with a
native 1366x768 -> 1360x768 resolution or a broken EDID), but I can't
remember I've had a screen which didn't support it. I must admit,
however, that I've never setup anything but Samsung and Sharp screens.
I was under the impression that all screens with a native 1920x1080
resolution did 1:1 pixel mapping - at least once a proper modeline had
been configured/enforced.

Best regards
Kenni