[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 12:50:37 UTC 2012

Kenni Lund wrote:

>Overscan? Wasn't that an issue back when we had CRT screens and
>s-video connections? Or am I completely missing the point? All LCD
>screens which I've been using (or have setup) through the past 10
>years has been able to do 1:1 pixel mapping

Yes, correct, it was only an issue back in the days of CRTs.
Personally, I'm still unable to grasp how on earth anyone thought it
was a good idea to create standards where the default is for the HD
source to create a pixel-perfect image, only for the display to throw
1/3 of it away and upsample what's left to fit the screen :-/
Surely the default should be for the source to create a pixel-perfect
image (eg 1366x768 or 1920x1080) and for the screen to display that
without any further resampling. OK, overscan of an analogue input,
but not for anything digital.

I've come across TVs (Sanyo was one) which neither supported native
resolution on the VGA socket, nor had an option to not-overscan on
digital.

--
Simon Hobson