[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Thu Feb 2 15:29:08 UTC 2012

2012/2/2 John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com>:
> I have always used the VGA connection on the TV
> for my front-end because when I first set it up (a few years ago) I couldn't
> get it working on the HDMI port and the Samsung manual specifically stated
> it did not support computer connections on anything other than the VGA port
> (one of the reasons I am boycotting Samsung).

To the best of my knowledge (and my experience with HDMI ports on
Samsung LCD TVs), that sentence in the manual just means that the port
doesn't support common computer resolutions like 1920x1080 at 60Hz,
1920x1080 at 75Hz, etc.

You don't want to run with such refreshrates anyway, you should select
one (or more) refreshrate(s) which matches the output of your videos
(23.976Hz, 25Hz, etc). If you use some of the EIA/CEA-861 compatible
modelines from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree, then
it should work just fine AFAIK.

Using one of the above modelines can also help when the TV and the
graphics card can't agree on the optimal resolution/refreshrate and
hence ends up with an unsupported resolution, which doesn't fit on the
screen (is this what you mean when you say "overscan" on LCD TVs?).

Best regards
Kenni