[mythtv-users] Trouble building mythpandora

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 2 23:51:09 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 06:28 PM, Adam Jimerson wrote:
> I don't know if this is the best place to ask for help but I am trying to
> build the mythpandora plugin from https://github.com/dougt/mythpandora to
> use with my Myth 0.24.2 system.
>
> When I run make it errors with this following error:

Yeah, don't even try.

Pandora doesn't have an API allowing 3rd-party access to their system.
Therefore, the internal protocol and API changes extremely frequently--4
times since Nov 1, 2011.

Because of that, the pianobar code ( http://6xq.net/projects/pianobar/ )
is updated for each protocol/API change--basically, each of those
releases shown under "old releases" was due to a change to Pandora's
protocol/API that broke libpiano/pianobar.

That means that for each update, mythpandora would have to be updated to
pull in the new libpiano/libwaitress/libezxml code, then updated to work
with the new code (and any required code changes due to protocol/API
changes), then recompiled with the new code.  I'm /guessing/ this is why
dougt seems to have abandoned the project--it hasn't been updated since
Jan 3, 2011--that's 10 protocol/API changes ago.  Therefore, even if you
get it to compile, it won't work.

My recommendation is to use the official Pandora client for GNU/Linux,
which can be downloaded from the pandora.com site once you sign in to
your account with a Pandora One subscription.  Unfortunately, thanks to
Adobe dropping support for AIR on GNU/Linux, you'll have to use the
last-released version of AIR from
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/853/cpsid_85304.html --but it actually still
works.  Alternatively, you could use pianobar or Pithos, instead.

Oh, and if you use either pianobar or Pithos, please purchase a Pandora
One subscription so that you're not stealing the service.  (As a paying
subscriber, I will be very upset if people's stealing the service
results in my favorite music service going out of business.  :)

Mike