[mythtv-users] User Job to rip subtitles from each program

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Feb 3 18:52:04 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 01:15 PM, David Crawford wrote:
> Would it be "be" and "starttime" ?

FWIW--and speaking as an outsider to this conversation looking in (I'll
admit I haven't read all the replies in this thread)--Raymond seems to
have gone out of his way to help you out with this script, and it seems
that you're not doing as much as you probably should to "help him help
you."  Perhaps you could spend a little more time trying to work through
what the script is doing and how to make it do exactly what you want
before asking questions--and I think if you do, you'll find that you're
able to figure out many of the answers by yourself. This way, when you
do ask questions they would be more-carefully-considered questions about
things that you may not be able to figure out without guidance.

Since the goal of your script seems to be very much a personal goal (and
not one that would help the community in general--based on
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/501301#501301 +
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/501367#501367 , which
are, to be honest, a bit cryptic about what exactly you're trying to
do)--your taking the time to figure out exactly what's going on with the
script would help you, too.  It would allow you to fix the script on
your own when it breaks or to update or enhance it or to create your own
scripts in the future.

To do this will involve a lot of searching on the Internet, looking at
completed/working scripts (to get an idea of how Python works in
general, and to get an idea of how the MythTV Python bindings work--see,
for example, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Python_Scripts ), as
well as trial and error.  If you pick some of the shorter scripts and
pick apart exactly what they're doing, I think it will help you figure
out how the script/pieces he's provided work.  You'll also need to do
some searching on the Internet to learn what's going on.  And, you may
need to consult some Python scripting tutorials (search for "python
scripting tutorial" (no quotes) with your favorite search engine).  And,
lastly, probably reading and re-reading this thread--your questions and
his replies.

This isn't meant to be "mean" or in any way say that you're on your own,
but is just trying to suggest some approaches that might help you to
learn a new programming language.  I know that learning programming and
programming languages can seem like a daunting task, but with the right
tools and approach, it's quite possible.  And, if you want to create
customized computer programs, chances are you're going to need to figure
it out, eventually.

Mike