[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:01:53 UTC 2012

I have a 32" Samsung LCD (Model LN32C350D1DXZA) in my bedroom.  It's a
'720p' set with a native resolution of 1366x768 (or 1360? I dunno...)

Anyways, on one HDMI port, it will only accept HD resolutions, and
overscans them. [Blah]

On the other HDMI port, it accepts the native resolution of 1366x768 and
does NOT overscan.  So I have my MythTV frontend connected to that HDMI
port and a resolution of 1366x768.

There is no setting on my TV to override the Overscan 'feature'...

J-e-f-f-A

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Kenni Lund wrote:
>
> >Overscan? Wasn't that an issue back when we had CRT screens and
> >s-video connections? Or am I completely missing the point? All LCD
> >screens which I've been using (or have setup) through the past 10
> >years has been able to do 1:1 pixel mapping
>
> Yes, correct, it was only an issue back in the days of CRTs.
> Personally, I'm still unable to grasp how on earth anyone thought it
> was a good idea to create standards where the default is for the HD
> source to create a pixel-perfect image, only for the display to throw
> 1/3 of it away and upsample what's left to fit the screen :-/
> Surely the default should be for the source to create a pixel-perfect
> image (eg 1366x768 or 1920x1080) and for the screen to display that
> without any further resampling. OK, overscan of an analogue input,
> but not for anything digital.
>

> I've come across TVs (Sanyo was one) which neither supported native
> resolution on the VGA socket, nor had an option to not-overscan on
> digital.
>
> --
> Simon Hobson
>
> Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed
> author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
> Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.

J-e-f-f-A