[mythtv-users] Last night's 30 Rock...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 4 00:45:13 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 07:19 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 4:06 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> That said, TTBOMK, this is the first time anything like this has
>> happened since we started using DataDirect (even before Schedules Direct
>> existed).
> Is there a competitor to SD now?

DataDirect is the name of the service (from TMS) that we used before
Schedules Direct existed--it was actually the exact same service as we
get now through Schedules Direct, but they used to give us the data for
free in return for our not abusing their servers/violating their Terms
of Service by scraping the Zap2It web site.  The only difference, now,
is that Schedules Direct buys a license to redistribute the data, and
provides that data for free to any Schedules Direct members, since TMS
is no longer providing the data free of charge.

TTBOMK, the only competitor to TMS (Tribune Media Service) in the US is
TV Guide/Gemstar, and, AFAIU, when Schedules Direct was trying to come
up with a solution to replace DataDirect, TV Guide/Gemstar was not
interested in working with the F/LOSS crowd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schedules_Direct has some information, but
could really use a rewrite.  Time for me to correct some issues with it,
I suppose...

Mike