[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat Feb 4 10:01:00 UTC 2012

2012/2/4 Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Jeff Artz <jeffa.myth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a 32" Samsung LCD (Model LN32C350D1DXZA) in my bedroom.  It's a
>> '720p' set with a native resolution of 1366x768 (or 1360? I dunno...)
>>
>> Anyways, on one HDMI port, it will only accept HD resolutions, and
>> overscans them. [Blah]
>>
>> On the other HDMI port, it accepts the native resolution of 1366x768 and
>> does NOT overscan.  So I have my MythTV frontend connected to that HDMI port
>> and a resolution of 1366x768.
>>
>> There is no setting on my TV to override the Overscan 'feature'...
>>
> I recently purchased a 40" Samsung LCD TV and connect to it with one of its
> HDMI inputs.  There was overscan, but I was able to compensate for it with
> the nvidia-settings program.  Is this not an option for you?

You shouldn't do anything to compensate for the so called "overscan".
Like Simon wrote, it's a very suboptimal solution. If you get
"overscan" it's most likely because your graphics card is using a
resolution unsupported by your TV. Configure a proper modeline for
Xorg, select the setting "Fit to screen" (or something near that) on
the TV and set the sharpness filter to 0 on the TV. That should give
you proper 1:1 pixelmapping. If you use some other approach by
scaling, cutting or whatever, you'll be lowering the quality of the
picture.

Best regards
Kenni