[mythtv-users] tuner card

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 00:53:33 UTC 2012

--- On Sun, 2/5/12, Jim Morton <jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jim Morton <jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] tuner card
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Date: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
>

> On 2/5/2012 1:43 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
> > On 2/5/2012 7:48 AM, Robert Walton wrote:
> >> Sorry, forgot to give location: United States,
> Virginia.
> >>
> >> Rob
> > I am in Virginia also (Norfolk to be exact). Take a
> look the the HDHR.
> > It is a network attached tuner and great for OTA
> broadcasts. As for
> > setup in Mythtv, the HDHR could not be easier.
> Here is a link to what I suggested. This is a dual tuner.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007
>
> --
> Jim Morton

One important question is "do you think you'd ever need analog"? If yes, then I wouldn't recommend the HD Homerun as my understanding is that it can't receive analog signals as it doesn't have analog tuners.

I know that OTA broadcasts in the US aren't analog anymore, but annoyingly, there are still some cable companies that broadcast in analog (Mine for example: Cox in AZ).

The other question is do you need cablecard support?

If you think you might need analog but don't anticipate a need for cablecard support, I'd suggest the Hauppauge HVR 2250 (also a dual tuner but with analog tuners as well as digital):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116037

Another benefit of the HVR-2250 is that its an internal card so you dont have yet another box, wall wart, and ethernet cable cluttering up your home.

Neil.