[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Feb 7 14:37:26 UTC 2012

On 12-02-06 09:09 PM, Govindarajan wrote:
> Could anyone point me to an objective analysis of the two types of
> de-interlacing techniques in VDPAU? Also, is the difference
> noticeable? I am thinking of getting nvidia gt520 (silent card) but it
> looks like it can only do Temporal 2x at NTSC frame rates. My quest
> for the mythical silent (non atom) FE/BE set up continues, hopefully
> not for long.

I can see the difference here.  The "Advanced/2X" deinterlacing spends more
effort on motion prediction/compensation, for smoother playback with less
blurring of movements on screen.

The "Temporal/2X" deinterlacer is also very good, but the difference can
be seen as slightly more motion blur compared with the "Advanced/2X" mode.

ASUS markets a fanless GT-530 card that uses heatpipe cooling.
But what's remarkable about it, is that it takes up only a single PCIe slot width,
very unusual for high-performance fanless cards.  Since it has 96 "shader engines"
(little CPUs), it can handle all of the current VDPAU features without issue.

The card is also low enough height to fit inside an Antec Fusion case,
with space to spare.  Still a "full-height" card though.

Cheers