[mythtv-users] unable to connect to backend on localhost

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Feb 7 19:41:14 UTC 2012

On 02/04/2012 12:52 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 11:48 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>   wrote:
>>> If it does, and it seems to be the reason behind the Trac ticket(s) for
>>> CentOS, please update the tickets saying that it was a firewall problem
>>> so we can close them. Â Sounds like this could be the cause of #10265.
>>
>> Please don't close #10265. I'm seeing this on a single box that runs
>> both the backend and the frontend, no firewall involved. In fact, for
>> testing purposes I've even disabled iptables completely. The backtrace
>> on #10265 shows that the hang is occurring when reading the dbus
>> socket.
>
> FWIW I just upgraded my master backend from CentOS5 to SL6.1 and am
> seeing this same issue with no firewall running.
>
> Stopping messagebus does allow mythweb to work but I haven't yet tried
> any frontends to see if they are also sane.  I am running KDE/KDM so I
> wonder how far I will get without messagebus.  I'll report back after I
> do some more testing.
>
> Definitely a rude upgrade surprise :(

Update:

I could not login, nor could I get autologin to work in KDM, with with
messagebus disabled in the init scripts on boot.

So, I disabled mythbackend and re-enabled messagebus in my init scripts.
  After I finished getting logged I stopped messagebus and started
mythbackend and mythfrontend and everything seems fine.

Backend has been running without hanging for a three days now, no issues.

Not great, but acceptable as a temporary workaround.

Jeff