[mythtv-users] Adding an SSD to my MBE -- partitioning question

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Feb 13 15:30:59 UTC 2012

On 12-02-13 09:32 AM, Mark J. Small wrote:

> In previous discussions about SSD's some folks suggested moving /tmp off the
> SSD to keep it from wearing out, especially when there isn't a lot of spare
> RAM to help mysql when the scheduler is run.  I was planning on using some of
> the unpartitioned space on sdb for this.

Your mechanical drives will be long dead and replaced at least once or twice
before you ever wear out a modern SSD (assuming the SSD doesn't hold recordings).

Most important thing to do:  ensure each partition on the SSD is aligned to
an even power of two.  Eg. partition-1 should start at sector 64,
rather than the (old) default of sector 63.

And no need to bother with a separate /boot partition.

Cheers