[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Feb 15 15:04:53 UTC 2012

On 02/10/2012 06:08 PM, PJR wrote:
> I want to hold all myth recorded data on RAID1, agree TV is not so
> important but music and videos are.

Have you considered _not_ using RAID arrays?  If you are mainly looking
for redundancy RAID doesn't buy you much (single disk failure only).

I personally do not use any RAID but I do use a very large backup disk
with BackupPC.  It not only protects you against hard drive failures but
a myriad of other problems also (accidental deletion, filesystem
corruption etc.)  In addition if the backup disk and main disk are
physically separated, to at least some degree, then you may gain some
protection against environmental hazards (fire, flooding, theft, power
supply faults etc.).

There are other benefits too, such as decoupling the size requirements
of the disks.  For example, you could setup a 3 TB backup disk with a 1
TB disk on one system and a 2 TB disk on another system.  You only need
3 disks to get much better redundancy, not to mention the fantastic
compression and pooling capabilities of BackupPC.  If you want even
better disaster protection, take a snapshot of the BackupPC disk and
rsync it to something you can take offsite.

Jeff