[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

PJR pjrobinson at metronet.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 00:17:58 UTC 2012

There's only space in my 1U case (in the rack) for 3 drives, one SSD for
everything except myth media storage, two in a RAID array for myth media
storage.  I only need 'light' data redundancy as most of the myth data
is TV programmes which if lost, who cares (except my wife if she hasn't
seen her 'shows' yet), the rest is music and videos all (tediously)
recoverable from original media.  I'm beginning to think that I should
media to a second drive. I'd prefer to have an 'automated' way of doing
this since the combined FE/BE system shuts down when not recording (or
playing) and wakes up by RTC alarm to record, hence automating a backup
is not so easy.  Sounds like RAID is just too hard to get working (from
a HW perspective) and judging by no recommendations, yet, as to suitable
drives (meeting my requirements), that confirms it.