[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 00:10:54 UTC 2012

On 2/17/12 12:29 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 12-02-17 03:27 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>> On 12-02-17 02:10 AM, James Linder wrote:
>>> Perhaps in your over general bashing you should consider
>>> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=seagate+ata+more+than+just+an+interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&oei=t_w9T7_UKPCviQfdh9DCBA
>>> the Seagate 'more than just an interface' paper
>> ..
>> ..
>>
>> For enterprise use, they *might* do better, but Google discovered otherwise
>> a few years ago.  That may have changed (or not) since then.
>
> Mmmm.. not to mention that the article linked to above is about a decade old,
> and not particularly relevant to modern technology.  An updated version might
> have the same or different findings.  Dunno.
Not to mention that everything is moving toward SAS anyways. The SAS
logic in my personal experience is better for the SATA logic for even
basic operation.  Using SATA drives in an array produced more dropouts
than the SAS counterparts (X to 0 ratio, same load tests) where the
exact same drive mechanism were involved basically.  I for one will be
glad to see SATA die out in favor of SAS (hello dual-port!).  That isn't
to say of course that I'm not running my home array on SATA Green type
drives generally without issue.  ;-)

-JK