[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi suitability for MythFrontend

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:17:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Mark Hutchinson <markhsa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, February 19, 2012, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>
>> On 2/19/2012 16:52, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>> >
>> > Which players have open max support?   So if a person uses an hdpvr to
>> > capture all content as I do,  would myth frontend work well then?
>> >  With which decoder?
>>
>> As explained, no.  MythTV does not support OpenMAX.
>

> I hope this gets developed.  The amount of 100+ watt frontends replaced by a
> 3 watt machine would save serious $ overall. Standardized hardware like the
> pi could be just the ticket. One optimized download for myth frontend on
> known hardware. Massive advantages.
> I would view this as a critical move forward.

As I think Raymond was explaining, it is not just playback that is
needed. Myth themes use up a heap of ram. Ram is cheap on x86/amd64
machines, not so on Raspberry Pi etc.

I think therefore that R pi is unlikely to make a good frontend if you
want to run mythfrontend.

It may work well as a uPnP or xbmc based frontend, in the same way as
a WD Live or Popcornhour and other STB's can be used as a front end.