[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi suitability for MythFrontend

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:48:56 UTC 2012

> I think the most power saving is actually to be gained if the pi ran as
> a master backend, I recall someone here had done a similar thing with
> another small PC (Can't recall its name now but they're not available
> anymore - sheevaplug it was)

SheevaPlug is still available from GlobalScale, NewIT, and Ionics as
well as other sources. There are also updated versions like GuruPlug
and DreamPlug.

> relevant to note the scheduler also requires a lot of CPU grunt that the
> pi isn't likely to cut too well either (Shame the video processor cant
> be easily 'borrowed') However I also recall someone saying their
> sheevaplug was up to the scheduling....

That'd be me. Scheduler takes 1-2 minutes to run but that hasn't been
a problem so it doesn't bother me -- I enjoy the power, bulk, and
noise reductions too much. :)

I eagerly await the Pi's release with money in my fist. I'd love to
use one as my FE, but it seems clear that while the Pi is well-suited
to be a HTPC/FE, Myth is not well-suited to the Pi.