[mythtv-users] missing tv schedules

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:28:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Michael Watson
<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
>> First off, your facts are off-whack.  Windows OS + WMC is not $100.  I
>> haven't seen a Windows OS *alone* for as low as $100 *legally* in many
>> years...
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MS-WINDOWS-7-Home-Premium-32Bit-Full-Version-SP1-Genuine-Microsoft-OEM-DVD-/220946084155?pt=AU_software&hash=item337169b13b
> <http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MS-WINDOWS-7-Home-Premium-32Bit-Full-Version-SP1-Genuine-Microsoft-OEM-DVD-/220946084155?pt=AU_software&hash=item337169b13b>
> $115 Aussie Dollars, is close to $100.   I guess thats like $150 US
> nowadays.....

Buying from ebay does not in any way ensure it is legal.  They can say
what they want in the description, chances are that is not a legal
copy, hence the low price (which was over the $100US line anyways) :)

>> Not going to happen.  We actively discourage MythTV users from messing
>> in the database as they invariably bugger it up and it takes many
>> hours of handholding to fix their damage (if it can even be fixed,
>> depending on what they do).
> Its opensource software, why is the DB so clouded in mystery, that
> everyone is discouraged from even looking at the tables....  I for one,
> would love to know where the status of SBE is located, so I can inform
> the MBE on a SBE/FE shutdown, that is merely going to sleep, not
> disconnected.  (As mythwelcome does such a poor job of shutting down a
> SBE when it is not required)

I clearly stated the reasons.  People who need help finding their way
around the db are very likely to mess it up as they poke around.  We
have had countless cases of this happening, and we are tired of
providing support for things that shouldn't be happening at all.
Additionally, people make third-party scripts that twiddle the
database and really mess it up, and then blame MythTV.

If you are a capable DBA, you are likely not going to mess it up, but
you would also most likely not be asking for help to go through it.

As for the status of the SBE, to my knowledge, that is not in the
database at all.  That would be an odd way to architect it.

> I have been using Myth for around 6 years, my only beef with it is the
> attitude of many of the Dev's.

Your beef has been noted.