[mythtv-users] Keyframe identification in cutlist editor

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Tue Feb 21 18:34:31 UTC 2012

John Veness wrote:
> Personally I've never skipped forward or back by keyframe either, and
> for me it's just an annoying step to get past (with the up/down arrows)
> between Frame and 0.5 Seconds, both of which are useful. It would be
> interesting to see if anyone really used Keyframe when editing, and if
> not, just remove it from the list.

I use it and it looks like MPEG-2 can only be cut on a keyframe, correct
me if I'm wrong. I tried to cut on non-keyframes in the past and AFAIR
there where always more frames in the show after cutting or less.

I just tried it and cut 1500 frames from a show. The result after
transcoding (ProjectX + HandBrakeCLI) had only 1462 frames.

It looks like MythTV automatically sets the cut point to the preceding
keyframe. I double checked my next trial before transcoding and the cut
point was moved by MythTV when I set it to a non-keyframe...