[mythtv-users] to Beirdo re ticket #10336

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 21 20:16:58 UTC 2012

> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:03:29 +0000
> From: gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] to Beirdo re ticket #10336
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:19, Yianni Vidalis <yiannividalis at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't have his email, and apparently he doesn't read the lists - at least
> > he didn't answer the posts I made to try and stop in vain the devs (see: Beirdo)
> > from locking the ticket ;)
>
> MythTV tickets are for MythTV bugs. Not distribution
> or packaging bugs, or for user assistance. After the
> MythTV bug was corrected, the MythTV ticket was
> properly closed. That it did not solve your (or your
> distributions) particular issues is not relevant to the
> MythTV ticket. Such discussions for user assistance
> should follow on the mythtv-users list (as you were
> redirected to do).

Don't get this the wrong way, but it's been almost two days,
I've already discussed this with Gavin and Mike, and then I
see your post and I think "where did this come from?"
I've been in the lists for some time, and I've created some
tickets - some of them were even genuine bugs! I think I
know so far what not to do in a ticket, and if you read
#10336 in my opinion there is no reason to abruptly lock a ticket
without at least a warning. I had personally started to post
in the lists before the lock regarding this ticket trying to raise
pennguin at ... (the other guy with the problem) without success.
He probably doesn't read the lists.

Anyway, I've sort of fixed the problem (bypassed it is more likely)
and I'm happy now.

> While many (commercial) companies provide formal
> user assistance, no such support is available from
> the open source MythTV project. That the devs voluntarily
> contribute their time to answer so many questions is a
> great benefit to the community, but one should not
> expect (or demand) such support from volunteers.
>
> Gary

Thank you for this clarification. I don't think I am the kind of
person you describe, but of course opinions could vary. I didn't
press anyone for support. I just felt obligated to report the
problem I was facing so that something could be done from mythtv's
point of view to correct it before the .25 release. At the time, I
didn't know it was my distro's problem.

Yianni.