[mythtv-users] MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 20:45:21 UTC 2012


On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org> wrote:
> On 21.02.2012 21:04, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM, jedi<jedi at mishnet.org>  wrote:
>>>> advanced much in reality.  It's still doing the same thing it did 9
>>>> years ago generally except better (VDPAU and storage pools for
>>>> example).  I'm OK with that though.  I am however disappointed by area
>>>> like streaming to phones, laptops, transcoding, etc are still woefully
>>>
>>>      "streaming" to other devices is primarily hung up on the fact that
>>> many of them aren't well equipped to deal with any TV recording or most
>>> other forms of video for that matter.
>>
>> That's what content negotiation is for:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_negotiation
>>
>> Ideally the mythTV protocol used to communicate between the backend
>> and frontend would include some form of content negotiation, and
>> perhaps the backend could generate transcoded content on the fly to
>> best fit the frontend's needs.  It can be done, it just hasn't been.
>
> What is all that moaning about? Did any of you actually read whats in
> the upcoming *MythTV* release?
>
>
> Let me quote the relevant points for you from
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25
>
>  * Capable MythNetvision sources can now be controlled via remote(lirc)
> that translates to "Internet TV with remote"
>
>  * HTTP Live Streaming Capabilities - ability to expose recordings and
>    videos via the services API
> that is streaming to phones and other devices with transcoding, some
> sample videos are available on youtube etc.
>
>  * AirTunes/AirPlay support for streaming audio and video from iOS
>    devices to MythFrontend
> thats streaming the other way round, might be useful for parties (maybe
> not, depends on the guests ;)
>
>
> The only issue is that its not a shrink wrapped appliance with
> everything setup for you. In exchange for some setup you are not forced
> to stay in one suppliers walled garden. (e.g. only MS Extenters for
> MS WMC, the same goes for Apple and the others)
>
> If you want UPNP/DLNA to work with your TV you can help with looking up
> what braindead combination of signalling MythTV has to provide so your
> TV realizes that it actually is able to decode some content.
>
> Your mobile device can be easily handled with automated transcode jobs
> after relevant recordings. Setup syncing and you'll always have
> something to watch on that long flight.

All of what you say is correct, myth is moving in this direction.

The upnp/dlna thing is not all its cracked up to be. Just because a
device is dlna compliant (or advertised as such) doesn't mean it will
play any content from any dlna server. Nor that it will play it at the
correct aspect ratio (yes you LG) or be able to easily
skip/fastforward etc.

Plus different people have different requirements. It is one thing to
transcode a file and save it onto the phone SD card. It is another to
transcode on demand and be able to watch it from the bus over 3G.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list